Below are some tools and resources to provide information for yourself or clients about quitting smoking or using tobacco products. Additional tobacco-free living resources can be found here.
Local Tobacco Cessation Classes
- Spectrum Health offers three different programs designed to help people quit tobacco and nicotine. All three programs are no cost to patients or the community. Call 616-486-0385 for more information or to register.
ü Let’s Talk Tobacco is for those who are interested in exploring their relationship with tobacco or nicotine. Participants receive the latest information about tobacco, cessation resources and medications, with no pressure to quit. It includes four weekly group sessions led by Certified Tobacco Treatment Specials (TTS). Participants gain a greater awareness of the impact tobacco and nicotine has on their lives, a better understanding of the quit process and what works, and supportive people who understand.
ü Let’s Quit Tobacco is for those who are motivated and ready to quit smoking, vaping or chewing tobacco. This program offers the best approach to quitting including expert guidance, approved medications and social support. Participants meet with a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist to get started. Then, during five group sessions, participants will be expertly guided through a quit plan they create. Participants will gain enhanced skills, motivation and confidence to quit tobacco, a supportive community of others on a similar journey, and better health now and reduced risk for health problems in the future.
ü Let’s Stay Quit is a monthly support group providing an opportunity to connect with and receive support from others on the same path. Participants learn tips for coping with cravings, stress management and avoiding relapse. Led by a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS).
- Freedom From Smoking® Classes – Offered by Metro Health in eight, two-hour sessions. Through support and education from Metro’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation team, participants will learn how to quit through the new Freedom From Smoking Classes. The cost is $25 per person. Visit https://uofmhealthwest.org/services/pulmonary-medicine/education-events/ or call (616) 252-7200 for more information about dates or to register.
- Worksite Cessation Class - An onsite nicotine cessation course offered by Health Plan Advocate, a Grand Rapids area corporate wellness provider. This six-week class is led by a health and wellness coach who provides guidance on quitting smoking in a support group environment. Classes flow through a process of behavioral, cognitive and tangible modifications designed to aid participants in identifying triggers, knowing reasons to quit, and preparing to quit. Participants also receive tools to assist in their quit process. For more information, contact email@example.com or call (616) 575-0211 x202.
Cessation Resources for Teens
- My Life, My Quit- a free youth quit-tobacco and vaping program that offers real-time coaching sessions via live text messaging, online chat or phone. Teens can sign up at www.mylifemyquit.com or text "Start My Quit" to 855-891-9989.
- Smoke Free Teen- Free text message quit tobacco service. 24/7 encouragement, advice and tips. Teens can sign up at https://teen.smokefree.gov/ or text "QUIT" to iQuit (47848).
- This is Quitting- a free Truth Initiative quit program for teens. Teens can sign up at This is Quitting or text "DITCHJUUL" to 88709.