Below are some tools and resources to provide information for yourself or clients about quitting smoking or using tobacco products. Additional tobacco-free living resources can be found here.
Local Tobacco Cessation Classes
- Quit 101- Offered by Spectrum Health in four session classes, week one is two hours and follow up classes are an hour and a half. Are you fed up with the cost of tobacco to your wallet and your health? Have you struggled in the past to stop using tobacco, only to remain caught in the web of addiction? Quit 101 focuses on tips to help you develop a quit plan and strategies that will work for you. Libby Stern, LMSW, a certified tobacco treatment specialist who is also a former smoker, facilitates this program to help you find the motivation and skills you need to stop tobacco use once and for all. Information about medications used in quitting smoking and a free nicotine replacement therapy sample are included. For more information on the class and to register, call 616-267-2626.
- Freedom From Smoking® Classes – Offered by Metro Health in seven, two-hour sessions. Through support and education from Metro’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation team, participants will learn how to quit through the new Freedom From Smoking Classes. The cost is $50 per person. Visit https://metrohealth.net/global-topics/smoking-cessation/ or call (616) 252-7177 for more information about dates or to register.
- Worksite Cessation Class - An onsite nicotine cessation course offered by Health Plan Advocate, a Grand Rapids area corporate wellness provider. This six-week class is led by a health and wellness coach who provides guidance on quitting smoking in a support group environment. Classes flow through a process of behavioral, cognitive and tangible modifications designed to aid participants in identifying triggers, knowing reasons to quit, and preparing to quit. Participants also receive tools to assist in their quit process. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (616) 575-0211 x202.
Cessation Resources for Teens
- My Life, My Quit- a free youth quit-tobacco and vaping program that offers real-time coaching sessions via live text messaging, online chat or phone. Teens can sign up at www.mylifemyquit.com or text "Start My Quit" to 855-891-9989.
- Smoke Free Teen- Free text message quit tobacco service. 24/7 encourangement, advice and tips. Teens can sign up at www.teen.smokefree.gov or text "QUIT" to iQuit (47848).
- This is Quitting- a free Truth Initiative quit program for teens. Teens can sign up at This is Quitting or text "DITCHJUUL" to 88709.
Smart Phone App
Free Quit Videos, Print Ads, Radio Ads, etc.
Tobacco Cessation Awareness Months/Days
- February- National Cancer Prevention Month
- February 23- Great American Spit Out
- March 15- Kick Butts Day
- May 31- World No Tobacco Day
- September- National Recovery Month
- November 16- Great American Smoke Out
- Based on the 2008 Clinical Practice Guideline: Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence, U.S. Public Health Service, June 2008
- Download Chart